Loading... Please wait...

History

Henry and Judd Meininger in front of Denver store

Welcome to Meininger Art Supply!

The fourth and fifth generation of the Meininger family operates one of the largest Art Material stores west of the Mississippi.


Floto-Meininger store, circa 1881

1881: Emil Meininger arrives in Denver from Chicago, Illinois (after the “Great Chicago Fire”) and opens a book, bindery and art materials store at 430 Larimer Street with business partner William Floto. It was the same year the first electric lights were installed in Denver. East Coast publishers sent artists to the area to paint the Rocky Mountains and it’s people. Emil stocked a broad range of artist’s tools to satisfy customers’ needs.


1886: Frederic Remington and Emil Meininger became friends when the artist stopped in Denver on his first trip to paint the Indian tribes of southwestern Colorado. Charles M. Russell also frequented the shop and had his friend Emil send art supplies as far away as Montana. A year later the store moved to 915 16th Street.


Meininger store, facade, 409 16th St.

1905: The store moved to 409 16th Street. Emil’s son Henry Roland “Chief” Meininger took over management and the store’s name was changed to H.R. Meininger Co. The store became a landmark staying at this location for 56 years.


Meininger store, inside, 409 16th St.

1933: H.R. "Cap" Meininger, Jr. became manager of the business. By hard work the company survived the Great Depression and began to grow. Before Dwight D. Eisenhower became president, he would do his own shopping at Meininger's and later through his aides continue to buy art supplies.


Meininger store, 1415 Tremont St.

1961: H.R. Meininger Co. moves to 1415 Tremont Street.


Meininger store, 1415 Tremont St.

1963: H.R. Meininger Co. moves to 1555 Tremont Street. Cap's son and daughter, Henry Meininger and Candy Meininger, are involved in the business.


1981: H.R. Meininger Co. celebrates it’s 100th Anniversary.


Meininger store, interior, 1415 Tremont St.

1986:  The fourth generation of Meininger’s takes over the management of the company and under Henry's direction, the fine art department begins to grow and the store becomes the single largest art supply store west of the Mississippi.


Meininger store, 499 Broadway

1990: Having outgrown the Tremont location, Henry and Candy have a 30,000 square foot building constructed at 499 Broadway, Denver, to house the business which serves customers in England, Japan, South America, Kuwait and Australia as well as all 50 states.


1992: Henry, as President of the Board of the Art Student's League of Denver, leads the ASL to purchase a permanent home located at 200 Grant St., Denver.


Meininger store, 201 So. Weber St., Colorado Springs

1993: H.R. Meininger Co. opened a new 7000 square foot retail store at 201 South Weber St., Colorado Springs.


1995: Henry, who has been very active in the International Art Materials Association (NAMTA) for many years, becomes NAMTA Board President.

1998: H.R. Meininger Co. creates an online presence through the website: MEININGER.COM, where artist resources and art materials are available.

2004: Henry is honored as a Hall of Fame Recipient by NAMTA at the annual convention held in Denver, Colorado.

2005: Judd Meininger, the fifth generation, joins the Meininger staff.

2006: H.R. Meininger Co. is voted by NAMTA members as Members Choice Award for Favorite Retailer of 2006. The company celebrates 125 years in the Art Materials business.


Meininger store, 1135 Broadway St., Boulder

2009: H.R. Meininger Co. purchases Art Hardware in Boulder, CO at 1135 Broadway St., west of and right across the street from CU on the “Hill”, and opens a third 10,000 square foot retail store managed by Judd Meininger.


THE FUTURE: We like to think of H.R. Meininger Co. as a dynamic company always seeking new directions of growth.


Gift Giving Made Easy


View Options

Sign-up For Our e-Newsletter!

Email